Awaken your senses to spirits: Basic Class of World Spirits
The World Spirits Academy’s Basic-Classes are designed to prepare newcomers to spirits for the Master-Class and the Master of World Spirits Award. Wolfram Ortner has developed a detailed system that will leave you with more than a whiff. Sense of smell and taste are playfully honed to perfection. Participants will discover fruits and their aromas, and they will also learn to detect flaws in spirits. The classification of standard samples helps to retain the efficiency of the exercises and the results.
The World-Spirits Academy is supported and sponsored by WOB “Handmade goods for finer living”. At all our events, WOB-Edel and WS 18.5 glasses are used as official World-Spirits glasses.
Sensory handling of spirits for beginners, recognising, evaluating and describing the wide variety of spirits, recognising flaws, identifying aromas and flaws, evaluating using the WOB system, completing a basic check test.
22nd until 23rd June 2020
Monday until Tuesday
Subject to change!
1st day: „The orchard – fruit, scent and aroma analysis“
Definition of (fruit/aroma) type, description, recognition of aromas and classification and evaluation according to the WOB system
2nd day: „Sensory perception of flaws in spirits“
Product recognition, identification and classification of (inherent) flaws, WOB evaluation and basic check
The courses for the Basic Class cannot be booked individually as the content is interlinked.
Experience and knowledge not necessary! Designed for beginners and advanced friends of spirits.
“Profound basis” training – technical and sensory basic training in handling spirits. Learning to find your way in the world of spirits, evaluate products professionally, define the quality of a product, identify flaws, and learn to appreciate top quality
- Distillers (from the fine brandy producer to the rum distiller)
- Gastronomy, hotel industry, trade and private spirit lovers
- Tasters and jurors
- Newcomers in the sensory handling of spirits
- Basic Course for future participants in the „Master of World Spirits“
Training is bilingual in German and English. The main language is German and the most important parts are translated into English. The proportion of each language is adapted to the participants.
Bad Kleinkirchheim – Austria:
9546 Bad Kleinkirchheim, Maibrunnenweg 37
phone 0043-4240-8711, fax 0043-4240-8722
8.00 to 12.00 am and 1.30 to 3.30 pm
- All inclusive course fee (2 taster training sessions): Euro 590 net plus 20% VAT.
- In the case of registrations after the official registration closing date, a surcharge of 10% will apply.
- In the event of cancellation before the start of the course 100% of the total amount is retained. If you are booking individual taster training sessions, the full amount must be paid in advance.
- Course with written material ind folder
- Spirits for tasting during the course
- Diploma in the event of positive result
- Daily written evaluation of participant’s sensory performance
Number of participants
Registration is done in the order of incoming mail. To ensure perfect training results, the number of persons per course is limited to 14.
- Tastings, product definition & evaluation, reference sample identification, aroma analysis, workshops, exchange of experience, working on cases and problems in theory and practice
- Diploma and certificate of completion
- „World-Spirits Basic-Class Diploma“ following successful completion of the written check test (minimum 50%)
- “World-Spirits Basic-Class Diploma with successful Check”
Registration and Information Online-Registration
Registration for all courses ends on 15 January 2020. Registration and payment of the course fees must be received by this time.
9546 Bad Kleinkirchheim
Untertscherner Weg 3, Austria